On January 20, President-elect Donald Trump is scheduled to be inaugurated as the 45th President of the United States. Thankfully, this date will mark the welcome end of President Barack Obama’s final term in office.
New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms PAC will not miss President Obama. In addition to his blind adherence to a left-wing ideology, President Obama has displayed a remarkable tendency to make the wrong decision in almost every situation that has confronted him. Furthermore, the President’s lack of honesty and integrity has damaged not only his presidency, but Americans’ ability to trust their elected officials.
NYCFPAC is publishing a list of reasons why conservatives are celebrating the departure of President Obama from the White House.
- Refusal to go quietly. President Obama has indicated that he intends to remain in Washington, D.C. following his presidency. The President has also expressed interest in helping to develop the next generation of liberal leaders; this interest is ironic, given that the Democratic Party has lost an astounding total of 1,030 seats in Congress, governor’s offices, and state legislatures across the country during the President’s two terms in office. The President’s expressed intention to remain involved in politics diverges from the common-sense practice of most ex-presidents to remain out of the limelight and allow their successors to govern without interference.
- Bow-and-scrape. Early in his presidency, President Obama’s visits to other nations sometimes took on an uncomfortable resemblance to apology tours. In particular, many Americans objected to the President’s practice of bowing to foreign heads of state.
- Patronizing tone. When he was not apologizing for the United States, President Obama sometimes lectured other nations about the policies that he believed that they should enact. For example, the President has made a habit of badgering African countries about their unwillingness to pursue pro-LGBT measures. Also, earlier this year, President Obama pressed the United Kingdom to remain a part of the European Union. (P.S.: The British “Brexit” vote did not go the President’s way.)
- Rainbow White House. The Obama White House celebrated Obergefell v. Hodges—the U.S. Supreme Court’s absurd and baseless 2015 decision to force same-sex “marriage” upon all 50 states—by lighting up the White House in rainbow colors. In taking this action, President Obama dishonored the democratic process and the millions of Americans who still believe in authentic marriage, not to mention the Author of marriage Himself.
- Snubbing Israel. President Obama has repeatedly slighted the nation of Israel and its Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu. In one egregious breach of decorum, President Obama broke off tense in-person negotiations with Prime Minister Netanyahu and left him to sit in a room in the White House while the President went to dinner.
- “Bumps in the road”. Following the tragic and avoidable deaths of four Americans in a premeditated terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya on September 11, 2012, President Obama was interviewed on 60 Minutes. During that interview, the President acknowledged that there would be “bumps in the road” in pursuing his Middle East policies. The President’s comments appeared to minimize and downplay the deaths of Ambassador Chris Stevens, Information Officer Sean Smith, and CIA operatives Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods.
- Arrogance. During his 2008 presidential campaign, President Obama made the following remarks: “‘I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters… I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m going to think I’m a better political director than my political director.’” While one might surmise that serving as President would have humbled President Obama just a bit, one would be mistaken; more recently, President Obama stated that he would have defeated Donald Trump if he had been allowed to run for President a third time.
- Bitter clingers. President Obama’s negative characterization of small-town Americans as “bitter [and clinging] to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren’t like them” became famous during the 2008 presidential campaign.
- Dishonesty. While an entire essay could be written on President Obama’s dishonesty, the best example of it is his assertion that Obamacare would allow Americans to keep their doctors and their insurance policies if they wanted to.
- “God bless [Planned Parenthood]”. President Obama ended a 2013 speech at Planned Parenthood by saying, “God bless you.” No, Mr. President. God cannot and will not bless an organization that sheds innocent blood (Proverbs 6:17).
Destructive Domestic Policy
- Promotion of the Common Core Standards. Under the Obama Administration, federal Race to the Top funds were used to influence states to adopt the problematic Common Core Standards.
- Welfare expansion. In July 2012, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services issued a directive allowing states to waive the highly successful work requirements set forth in a 1996 welfare reform law. According to the Heritage Foundation, this action “gutt[ed] the reform of its most critical element and bludgeon[ed] the letter and intent of the law.”
- IRS targeting of conservative organizations. Hundreds of conservative groups have been singled out for unfair treatment on President Obama’s watch.
- Social experimentation in the U.S. military. Under President Obama’s failed leadership, the United States Armed Forces has become a laboratory for left-wing social experiments. In 2010, President Obama signed a bill allowing members of the Armed Forces to engage in homosexual behavior. Since then, the Department of Defense has made combat units mixed-gender, has allowed “transgender” individuals to serve in the Armed Forces, and has made insurance payments for so-called “sex change” procedures available to servicemembers. As if that were not enough, the Obama White House has also expressed support for requiring women to register for the Selective Service. Sadly, the Obama Administration has also proven hostile to religious expression by Christian servicemembers.
- Same-sex “marriage”. During his 2008 presidential campaign, then-Senator Obama declared that “marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian…it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.” (In 1996, however, Obama completed a candidate questionnaire expressing support for same-sex “marriage.”) Former Obama political strategist David Axelrod has openly acknowledged that Obama lied to the nation about his stance on this issue. In 2012, President Obama announced his support for same-sex “marriage.” In 2014, the President acknowledged his belief that a constitutional right to same-sex “marriage” was guaranteed under the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Finally, in 2015, the Obama Justice Department filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court of the United States in the case of Obergefell v. Hodges; ultimately, the Supreme Court agreed with the President, ruling that the Constitution required all 50 states to recognize same-sex “marriage.”
- Transgender bathrooms in U.S. schools. In May 2016, the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Department of Education sent correspondence regarding “transgender” issues to every school district in the United States. Based on a flawed and dishonest interpretation of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the letter attempted to dictate how schools across the United States manage sensitive issues of gender identity. The letter directed school districts that they “must” allow “transgender” students to use opposite-sex restroom and locker room facilities. To make matters worse, the letter contained a not-so-veiled threat that schools could lose federal funding if they failed to submit to the Administration’s “transgender” rubric. This directive has led to a federal lawsuit filed by multiple states.
- Out-of-control spending. In 2008, the-Senator Obama declared that a $4 trillion increase in the national debt that occurred during the Bush Administration was “unpatriotic” and “irresponsible.” During President Obama’s tenure, the national debt has increased by more than $9 trillion. President Obama’s fiscal policy has been an unmitigated disaster. The President’s trillion-dollar stimulus package, his government bailouts, and his astronomical budget deficits have created huge headaches for future occupants of the Oval Office.
- Immigration policy. President Obama’s immigration failures are twofold. First, the President—like his predecessors—has failed to secure U.S. borders and has failed to effectively prevent persons from entering our nation legally and staying here after their visas have expired. Second, the President has taken executive actions that would effectively shield millions of illegal immigrants from deportation; thankfully, those actions have been blocked in federal court.
- Disrespect for the Constitution. President Obama has communicated his disrespect for the U.S. Constitution in nearly every conceivable way; he has placed liberal judges on the Supreme Court, unilaterally amended laws passed by Congress, taken executive actions that dramatically exceed his constitutional authority, and passed health care legislation that should have been ruled unconstitutional.
- Obamacare. The Affordable Care Act is President Obama’s single largest achievement; it is also his greatest failure. Obamacare is constitutionally indefensible, coercive, anti-life, disrespectful of religious freedom, and fiscally unsustainable.
Foreign Policy Failures
- Reversal of the pro-life Mexico City Policy. Three days after taking office, President Obama set the tone for his anti-life presidency by rescinding the Mexico City Policy. The Mexico City Policy, which was originally implemented by President Ronald Reagan, was rescinded by President Bill Clinton, and was re-instituted by President George W. Bush, banned funding to foreign non-governmental organizations that provide or promote abortions.
- Operation Fast and Furious. In 2009, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) provided approximately 2,000 firearms to criminals operating in Mexico in an effort to disrupt the drug trade. While the ostensible purpose of the operation was to track the weapons as they made their way to drug traffickers, the ATF failed to adequately track them. Unfortunately, one of those weapons was used to kill U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry. As of a year ago, guns obtained through Operation Fast and Furious had been linked to over 300 deaths. Following his refusal to cooperate with a congressional inquiry, then-Attorney General Eric Holder was found in contempt of Congress.
- Refusing to call jihad terrorism what it is.
- Making ransom payments to terrorists. Last January, Christians rejoiced when Saeed Abedini and four other Americans were returned to the United States after being held hostage by the jihadist regime in Iran. In August, the American public became aware that the United States government had caused a ransom payment of $400 million in cash to be sent to Iran as part of the agreement to return the hostages.
- The Cuban Thaw. During President Obama’s second term, the United States removed Cuba from the State Department’s list of state sponsors of terrorism, relaxed restrictions on Cuban travel, re-established diplomatic relations with Cuba, and released imprisoned Cuban spies—all without requiring the Castro regime to renounce Communism or meaningfully reform its oppressive practices.
- Drawing a “line in the sand” in Syria—and not backing it up.
- Stabbing Israel in the back. While President Obama has repeatedly proclaimed his support for Israel, his actions have not matched his words. President Obama delivered a final one-two punch to the Jewish state last month. First, the United States failed to veto a U.N. Security Council resolution condemning the construction of Israeli settlements on disputed lands on the West Bank and in East Jerusalem. Second, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry delivered a speech publicly reprimanding Israel for its settlement activities. As Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said, “Friends don’t take friends to the Security Council.” President Obama’s back-stabbing treatment of Israel for the past eight years has been a disgrace to our nation.
- Benghazi. Four Americans—Ambassador Chris Stevens, Information Officer Sean Smith, and CIA operatives Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods—were murdered in a premeditated terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya that commenced on September 11, 2012. Following the attack, high-level U.S. officials downplayed the premeditated nature of the attack and attempted to portray it as a spontaneous response to an anti-Muslim film. Members of the families of the four deceased Americans have claimed that then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton lied to them regarding the causes of the attack. In May 2016, National Review reported that the United States was holding only one (1) of the approximately 150 Benghazi attackers in custody.
- Letting ISIS gain a foothold.
- The Iran nuclear deal. By entering into a nuclear deal with Iran, President Obama managed to bypass the Senate’s treaty authority, hide crucial information from Congress, pave the way for a future nuclear Iran, and jeopardize Israel’s safety—all in one fell swoop.
It is a great blessing that President Barack Obama is departing from the White House.